Views:4 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2018-07-17 Origin:Site
Note: These are general instructions for all types of automobiles.
Your vehicle's flex pipe is a metal component that has ribs in the tubing to enable it to twist and move. You need it in order to minimize the vibrations that come from the engine and the exhaust system. The flex pipe also helps route an exhaust system from your engine towards the end of your automobile. Because it has the ability to flex, it makes it simpler to route the parts of the exhaust system that need to bend.
If your old flex pipe already broke down and you already have a replacement for it, here is a guide to help you in the process of properly removing your broken pipe and installing your new one.
Tools and Materials Needed:
· New flex pipe
· Car jack
· Exhaust sealant
Safety Reminder: Always wear protective gear while working on your vehicle.
1. Elevate your automobile using a car jack to get under it. If you can get underneath it without raising it, then there's no need to use the car jack.
2. Find the muffler and the exhaust down pipe. When you have located them, you will be able to see the flex pipe. One end of the flex pipe is attached to a flange on the muffler, while the other end is connected to the exhaust pipe. There is usually a pipe elbow that connects it to the muffler and exhaust pipe.
3. Take out the bolts that connect the muffler to the pipe elbow.
4. Free the flex pipe from the exhaust pipe by loosening the clamp that keeps them together. Remove the flex pipe from the clamp and take out the clamp, as well.
5. Remove the gaskets from the flanges that are used to connect the flex pipe to the muffler. Then, use a wire brush to clean the flanges.
6. Use a hammer to even out the dents that you may see in the exhaust downpipe. Make sure your pipe is round in order for it to seal your new flex pipe effectively.
7. Get a wrench to loosen the bolts that secure the exhaust pipe and the muffler. By doing this, you will enable those components to have some space to move and allow them to fit better with the new flex pipe.
8. Coat the end of the exhaust pipe and the muffler gasket with exhaust sealant. After that, slide your new flex pipe over the end of the exhaust pipe and right into the gasket.
9. If the flex pipe is twisted or under some tension, adjust the pipe and the muffler to get it straight.
10. Place a new clamp on the end of the flex pipe that is next to the exhaust pipe. Use a screwdriver to secure the clamp.
11. Put new bolts in the holes where the flex pipe and the muffler flange are connected. Use a wrench to secure the nuts to the bolts.
12. Secure all the mounting for the exhaust pipe and the muffler and take out all the plastic ties that came with the flex pipe. Now, you are finally finished installing your new flex pipe to your automobile.
Helpful Tip: When the noise from the exhaust system of your vehicle gets significantly louder, it means that your flex pipe is about to fail.